Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Crazy writer moment

So all of my comrades on this site know, but I decided my novel needed conclusion, and I turned it into a short story at c. 11,000 words. I wrote a terrible ending which will be posted at some point so all may share in its awfulness.

This weekend, though, I was driving through fair Baltimore and passed the intersection where something tragic happens in my novel. And it was weird, because the first thing I thought was, "This was where x died. And there's where y's car was."

All of a sudden, my novel became far more realistic to me. I had a genuine connection to my characters, and they had an identity and a reality that was my more concrete than before. It's almost a pity that I ended the story so soon, now that my characters have become real people, almost friends and enemies, to me.

I will be trying my hand at fiction again, oh, yes indeed.

2 Comments:

At 10:05 PM, Blogger Anatole Upart said...

I think your novel needs some seriously good illustrations ;)

Happy Thanksgiving!

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Anna Clare said...

I think my novel needs some seriously good revision, first! ;)

A belated Happy Thanksgiving to you, as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home